“The best way to be loved is to love yourself.” ~Adam Lambert
Self love, learning to love yourself fully and wholly, is the most precious gift you can give and practice. When you learn to love yourself you can love others fully because you understand how powerful the act of love is.It’s not just about falling in love, but being in a constant state of love, compassion and acceptance for yourself. You’re not perfect, no one is. Your job isn’t to be perfect, it’s to experience all of life in all it’s imperfections. You are a beautiful part of existence, but remember it’s all a journey. Some days it’s not easy to love yourself, but you must find the strength in yourself to do so because the world needs more self love, self acceptance and self respect.
1. Love yourself you must first accept yourself for who you are. Not for who you were in the past, or who you want to be in the future, but who you are in this present moment.
2. Learn to be your own hero instead of seeking someone else to rescue you. When you learn to take care of your emotions through your own self love you develop a sense of strength and empowerment internally and you don’t rely on externals need to fulfill your lack of love for your self. You are capable of experiencing all the love inside of you.
3. Take yourself out on dates. Get to know yourself. It sounds silly, but it works. Is there a new restaurant you want to try out, but you are waiting for someone to ask you out first? Ask yourself out on a date. Get a massage, go on a walk, treat yourself how you would want to be treated on a date. When you can learn to date yourself, dating others or simply being with others comes a state of joy. No longer are you expecting anything or trying to fulfill what you want deep down inside, you are giving yourself everything you need already. Learn to enjoy your time with yourself. The more comfortable to get in your being with your own love, loving others just naturally beings to flow.
4. Accept you are not a superhero and rather a human being. Take a break from constantly “doing” or trying to live up to unrealistic expectations. Learn to live in the moment, the present. Don’t take precious moments away from yourself. Enjoy your morning tea or coffee. Work on managing your stress so you don’t constantly feel overwhelmed. When we think we can take on the entire work we often feel we are failing at everything. Sometimes it’s not about the little things in life. Listen to your body. Instead of working out, maybe it’s asking you to take a nap. Honor what it is telling you, it’s coming from a place of healing love.
5. You are enough. You have nothing to prove and no one to be. Your purpose is to experience life to its fullest. There are no rules to life, it’s simply about experiencing life. When you know you are enough you have learned to love yourself. Self love is the greatest and most powerful medicine you can give yourself.